We are frequently asked about the history of the Tamaqua facility. Generally regarded as one of the most beautiful buildings in the Tamaqua area, the structure that now serves as the Zizelmann-Gulla Funeral Home was built in the 1920’s as the residence of the late Cornelius “Cutter” and Anna (Chester) McGeehan (previously of Coaldale). The exterior of the building was likely influenced by the neo-classical styles brought into trend at the 1893 Chicago World Fair. The amenities were years ahead of its time, boasting steel electrical conduit and a central vacuum system. The décor of the interior features stone work by Italian masons with accents of oak and marble including a wooden staircase, stained glass windows, servant’s quarters, and numerous fireplaces. In years past, the top floor was used for dance parties with live music; McGeehan family lore has it that Mr. McGeehan was instrumental in funding the early days of the Dorsey Brother’s Swing Band. In their gratitude, the Dorsey’s made occasional appearances at the McGeehan’s home.
At the end of World War II, the building was purchased by Conrad Bischoff Zizelmann who used it as both a residence and a funeral home. Likewise, his son Jon both raised a family and ran a business there which, of course, continues to this day.
Zizelmann-Gulla Funeral Home and Cremation Services, Inc. | (570) 668-0390
500 East Broad Street, Tamaqua, PA 18252
Your browser may not work with certain site. Upgrade now.